Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Char’

Mega Size Zaku Complete – Go See it at Robot4Less

March 29th, 2012 No comments

Last weekend I put the finishing touches on the 1/48 Mega Size Zaku. I built it for Roy, who owns Robot4Less, which happens to be about literally around the corner from my house. It’s now on display there next to a couple of other Mega Size models built by speed-builder Martin. Click on the Picture Link below to see the gallery.

(A Little) Model Building Progress

February 25th, 2012 No comments

I spent most of December and January working on the house in preparation for a baby we’ve got coming in April. When I could spare a little time I worked on a mega-size Zaku for Roy at Robot4Less. It’s all painted and awaiting clearcoats and decals/weathering but in the last few days my focus is on the Bluefin Unicorn. I’m excited to get it done, the shading came out pretty nice.

As if I needed to divide my attention further, I started another project. A couple weeks ago one of my built models sold at Robot4Less and I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. So, I went on a detail parts shopping spree. I bought photoetch parts for 3 Valkyries, 2 Sherman tanks, a truck, a jeep and a Quad Gun Tractor, as well as gun barrels for the Shermans and a resin cockpit set for my Tamiya F-16.

Then last week I got sick and was home two days from work. I hate painting when I’ve got a cold (because of runny nose and sneezing not working out under a respirator mask, yuck) so I didn’t want to work on the Mega Zaku and I had just got the PE parts for the Quad Gun Tractor so I pulled that kit out and went to work on it. I’m doing a bunch of kitbashing/scratchbuilding on it to turn it into a remote-control command vehicle for my Jin-Roh Patlabor (JRP).

The first thing I did was make room for a rear-facing pilot. I cut a rectangle out of the roof and built a box on top of it to give the pilot some headroom and space for a TV monitor so he can see where the JRP is going. Next I built a little TV screen that will have a camera-eye-view decal on it.

I had to swap parts for the pilot, using the arms and legs of the Canadian driver figure that comes with the kit with a Nazi torso and head so he looks right. I’ll have to use some sanding and putty to turn his shorts-and-scrunch-socks-wearing legs into pants-and-jackboots-wearing legs.

I installed some rails across the two center rear seat bases to provide a seat mount for the pilot since he’s backwards and off center. Next I went to town with another new tool, my punch and die set. It makes hole, discs, and if you line them up right, rings from holes in discs.

I used these to make some low-tech-looking electronics for the cockpit. I also installed a base and a mount for a large antenna mast (think news van).

Next I built a little control column using plastic bits, more punched discs and the handles from a 1/35 scale .50 caliber machine gun.

Here’s how the cockpit looks put together:

In this last picture I moved the box on the left that sat on the wheel well to the floor because it got lost behind the antenna mast.

I’ll still add some wiring and maybe a few more bits. It occurred to me that the real Gun tractor has a bunch of hatches/tool boxes that open into the rear and I’ve just made disappear. I’ll probably build something to represent that some of them are still there and maybe make the others look welded shut.

On the outside of the Gun Tractor I sealed off the normally tarp-covered “sunroof” and I’m planning to “up armor” the Gun Tractor in the way that modern Humvees serving in Iraq/Afghanistan are with some plastic plate. I’m also thinking of putting in the windows backwards and framing them to look like thick ballistic glass.

New HGUC Sazabi Pics and a New WIP!

February 22nd, 2009 No comments

It’s kinda dumb to post about this, since I just rolled out my galleries. But the truth is, I forgot about the Sazabi I just finished. So now its gallery has been added to the Completed Models Launchpad.

Oh, and as long as I’m blogging, here’s my new project that I’m trying to build for the Fichtenfoo Forum’s 31 Days model build. It’s a Hasegawa 1/48th P-51D Mustang and a Tamiya 1/48 Citroen car. The idea is that the Mustang will be buzzing the Citroen. I have a set of decals to do the Mustang as “Creamer’s Dream”, a redtail Mustang of the Tuskegee Arimen.

The contest requires the model to be started and finished in 31 days and that the model should be in a diorama/vignette. This build will do three things for me. It will make me build fast, something I’m getting a little better at. It will make me make a naturalistic diorama, something I’ve never done, and it will let me build an airplane again, something I haven’t done in almost 2 years.

Tamiya Buzzes Citroen, Nazis Scatter Like Cockroaches. Hehe.