Mega Size Zaku

1/48 Scale Mega Size MS-06S Zaku

Completed March 2012

This was a straightforward build with no WIP, so I’ll comment a bit…

I picked up this model from Roy at Robot4Less. He had asked if some of us Gundam Guys could help him out by building some models for display in his store. When I got the model it had already been snapped together so I had to do a bit of work repairing dents and gouges from some overzealous parts snipping.

I took the model in November with the idea that its large size would make it a good candidate for a demo I was going to perform on decals and panel lines at our Southern California Gundam Model Competition. I would have finished the kit a lot sooner, but I had to squeeze work in on it whenever I wasn’t working on Bluefin’s Unicorn (Clem says I’m too nice, and I think he’s right, working on not one but TWO projects for other people without any clearly-defined compensation).

The kit itself was generally a pleasure to build. Surface detail is very nice and the kit even gives you WATER SLIDE DECALS (YAY!) It goes together like a giant HGUC or 1/100 NG SEED/00 kit. Parts breakdown is good and the only part I had to mask was the different colors on the Heat Hawk axe and the ankles inside the feet, since you can’t really take them out once you fix the seams on the feet. The head could have posed a similar problem (you’d have to mask off the lens and the bottom of the internals, not that hard) but I cheated and left the seam since it’s unobtrusive. There are some seam lines to deal with but they’re mostly simple except for the God-awful seam lines on the power cables on the legs, torso and head. The power cables are generally made of two halves so you get seamlines running up and down the steep topography of the cables. When I build my own Mega Size Zaku I’m definitely replacing them. The only thing I added that wasn’t OOB was some Koto thrusters on the legs (the molded-in ones are not up to par with the rest of the detail on the model) and a few extra warning decals. Painting was a bit of a different experience because the thing is HUGE compared to your average model. Normal while painting shading you’re trying hard to stay within one panel. In this case you’re trying hard to fill up the whole panel evenly. I used spraypaint cans to paint the first coat of primer, the base coat of the dark red and the black, and the main clearcoats. Priming and clearcoating the whole thing by airbrush would have taken forever.

When you’re done you’ve got a large, impressive and detailed model. The real downside is the ratchety stiff poseability but it looks plenty good just standing there, IMO.

The model is now on display at the Robot4Less store in Fullerton, CA. Go check it out (and buy some models!)